Thursday, October 6, 2016

David Homer "Everybody's Hero" former fireman, 49, who enjoys the 'peace and quiet' of the grave digging job (and even met his wife at a funeral) wins Gravedigger of the Year

I made my living by lying on my back as a fireman, now I dig holes for people lying on their backs, the dead! 

He worked as a pallbearer and even met his wife at a funeral. 
So it is perhaps of little surprise David Homer, 49, chose to become a gravedigger. 
The father-of-three, from Measham, Leicestershire, said he enjoys the 'peace and quiet' of his work and insists it is just a normal nine-to-five.
With the motto 'it's not just a hole in the ground, it's someone's final resting place', he tries to give each funeral his full attention and personal touch.
Among his more unusual requests are farmers who were buried in their fields and graves dug in back gardens.  
And his efforts have not gone unnoticed. Mr Homer has been named the Gravedigger of the Year. 
He said: 'Even when they read my name out as the winner I couldn't believe it. I don't do my job for recognition, I just go about my business and try my best.
'But it's nice to know on those cold and frosty mornings, or when it's pouring with rain, that it's all worth it.'

9 comments:

Aldo Raine said...

Quit hating on my bro, Shaver. Dude does more manual labor digging a single grave than most mudmen do in their lifetimes. Maybe he can teach the cops at Bourbon St a thing or two about digging. Starting with digging deep into their pockets to tip the waitresses on their 1/2 off meals.

Anonymous said...

Nice gift, was it from Dart? He hangs out (yes-Hangs Out) in cemeterys because they are known to be full of holes.

Anonymous said...

Didn't Ritchie Hebner dig graves in the offseason, hence "The Gravedigger", Tigers suck

Anonymous said...

ACTUALLY FOR YEARS IN MANY EURO COUNTRIES THIS WAS A HIGHLY RESPECTED AND SOUGHT AFTER POSITION, THEY HAD THEIR OWN SOCIAL SOCIETYS AND PUBS,, THEY WERE GREATLY RESPECTED INTHEIR COMMUNITIES,,,

Anonymous said...

Aldo dives for dicks in graveyards.

Anonymous said...

Nothing aldo likes more than dipping in a dirty hole. Ask his mom

Anonymous said...

Usually a very safe and quiet place to work.
Coons are afraid of ghosts and wetbacks
don't want to desecrate holy ground.
Just steer clear of black funerals,
they love to have shootouts amongst the
headstones sometimes.

The Keesing Bandit said...

Such a feel good story.

Now, kees me you fool!!!!

Anonymous said...

Father MacKenzie
Wiping his hands as he walks from the grave
No one was saved